Summer is coming up soon, which means it's time for sundresses and bathing suits. It's time to get serious and along with hitting the gym more, I've been trying to eat healthier and stop buying lunch out during the week. Over the past couple of weeks I have been experimenting with making food that is quick and semi-healthy. I made this meal with one of my girlfriends last week after going to the gym. After working out it's easy to decide to eat something a little less healthy (at least that's how my mind works, "oh i worked out, I can have that second glass of wine"). Luckily this meal was delicious and satisfying, taking away any temptation to eat bread or have a bowl of ice cream after dinner.
I am by no means a nutritionist but as far as my personal diet and lifestyle goes, this is the perfect, balanced meal to incorporate into my routine. I have experimented with marinating the chicken in the sriracha for different times and I have found there isn't a need to, making this a perfect meal to cook after working all day and going to the gym after work.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
-2 chicken breast, about 1lb
-1/3 cup sriracha + extra for added spice
-1 clove of chopped garlic ( or a palmful of garlic powder)
-A couple of shakes of salt or pepper
-2 cups of cooked broccoli
-1 packet Uncle Ben's instant rice (comes to about 2 cups of rice)
-1 lime cut into quarters
1. Thinly slice chicken and mix with sriracha, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Heat a pan to medium high heat and do a quick spray of pam or a quick drizzle of EVOO if needed.
3. Cook chicken - it takes me about 10 minutes, and I flip the chicken about 5 minutes into the cook time.
4. Once the chicken is cooked, in a bowl put a cup of brown rice, a cup of broccoli and a cup of chicken. If you desire do a quick squirt of sriracha and squeeze a lime over everything.
- I usually sauté the broccoli when I am cooking the chicken, but you could just buy it precut in a bag and steam it in the microwave.
- Strangely enough I have never cooked rice for real in my life, I always just used the microwavable kind, but I have started to make this with quinoa now instead, and I just make a big batch for the week and keep it in the fridge.
- I prefer a little more lime, so I usually use about 1/2 lime on mine while my friend just uses about a quarter.
- When making this just for myself I divide it up into 3 portions and I usually make it broccoli heavy so I get extra greens.
-This is a very basic recipe, you can play around with it and add more seasonings/etc. I was just going for very basic and quick as its hard to make time to meal prep during the week (at least it is for me)